Monday 4 June 2007

What's outside today 7 - Nissan Qashqai

An unusual one this - not quite sure what to make of it.


Nissan has been dropping cars that fit traditional market categories such as the Golf-class Almera and the Mondeo-sized Primera and is instead following what could be described as an all-niche or multi-niche strategy. Just hope the niches are large enough to support this approach, given that the UK Nissan plant at Washington is relying on the Qashqai for much of its future output. The Qashqai was also designed in the UK, by the way.


The Qashqai is a sort of SUV/MPV cross, and its styling, especially at the rear, has overtones of the larger Murano. Brief impressions from the shortest of drives - strong, quiet diesel engine, very impressive interior, apart from the leather seats on our particular test example, which are the same 'bright brown' shade I was grumbling about in connection with the Volvo S80 the other day. Spacious too.

3 comments:

  said...

Duck poo has a similar colour. Otherwise, I think the Qashqai looks rather handsome, and better than the Tiida that we are laboured with here.

David Wilkins said...

Didn't know what a Tiida looked like until I saw it on the Nissan Aus website via Google - I agree we've probably got the better end of the deal here with the Qashqai!

Grampanda said...

Spacious? That is not my experience. I wanted to buy this car, its looks, its configuration and Nissan build quality, all seemed ideal. But I found my head brushing the sun roof, even with the drivers seat at the lowest setting and the rear seats had even less head room. Great if you're less than 6ft and expect only smaller children using the back - but for me it was a very disappointing test drive.