Monday 21 May 2007

Lessons from a life on the road 1 - carry a second pair of driving glasses

Lost my driving glasses in the course of a weekend of mad dashing around cramming two Verdicts at opposite ends of the country into two days. I think I'm legal without them (to the extent that I understand my prescription, I think I'm only slightly short-sighted) so I didn't notice precisely when they went missing, but as I started my drive home from the northwest on Sunday evening, I decided I'd better play safe and get a new pair before going much further.

Stopped overnight at Bradford and then went to the local branch of Specsavers who really excelled themselves by fitting me in without a proper appointment and giving me a full eye exam and two nice pairs of specs for eighty quid in about two and a half hours.

Thinking about it, I'm surprised that more countries don't follow the example of Spain and, I believe, Switzerland, in requiring drivers who need spectacles to carry a second pair.

No comments: